David J. Chavolla is a partner in the Business Law Practice Group. He concentrates in the representation and counseling of privately held business organizations in all aspects of their legal affairs.
David has served as outside general counsel to a wide range of clients, including manufacturers and distributors of commercial and consumer products and services, software developers and providers, energy management firms, communications companies, consulting firms, and professional organizations. He is responsible for all aspects of clients’ corporate legal affairs including organizational, capital structure and stockholder issues, employment matters, protection of intellectual property, borrowing relationships, real estate, and contract issues.
David regularly represents corporate and other business clients in complex business transactions including mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, and joint ventures involving U.S. domestic and international business entities. He is also frequently involved in representation of public and private companies in overseas transactions and representation of foreign entities in U.S. activities, both as U.S. general counsel and special counsel in connection with specific transactions.
David has extensive experience with financial transactions, including private placements and other capital formation activities, secured and unsecured banks, and other institutional financing and credit facilities. He has represented firms in initial public offerings and ongoing SEC compliance work. His experience includes counseling on issues involving the Investment Company Act and the Investment Advisors Act.
JD, Stanford University School of Law
AB, Harvard University
- Represented energy consulting services company in $50 million sale of business to public utility company. The business was subsequently resold to an international company, which the firm currently represents in U.S. business matters.
- Represented fruit juice manufacturer in $130 million stock sale to public company.
- Represented marine flotation device business in $45 million sale of its oil and gas division.
- Represented printing press materials manufacturer in several business acquisitions with purchase prices in excess of $10 million.
- Represented biotechnology company in acquisitive merger with public company valued at $25 million.
- Represented Israel-based manufacturer in U.S. business acquisitions and reorganization of U.S. business structure.
- Represent U.S. operations of European parent companies in a variety of businesses, including mobile devices, surveillance technology, optical components, printing press equipment and materials, beverages, composite materials, financial services and software products.
- Represent the redeveloper of historic monument building in Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Outside general counsel to a wide range of domestic businesses, including energy services, financial services and publications, professional services, software development, communications, microwave technology, commercial real estate, building materials, plastics and adhesives.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Trustee, American London Symphony Orchestra Foundation
- Member, Old York (Maine) Historical Society
- Board of Governors, Union Club of Boston