Richard C. Allen
Richard C. Allen
Richard C. Allen is a partner in Casner & Edwards’ Nonprofit Organizations Law Practice. He specializes in the representation of nonprofit organizations, foundations and charitable trusts, and of businesses and individuals in matters involving philanthropy.
Mr. Allen advises nonprofit organizations with respect to tax exemption issues, corporate law questions, fiduciary and governance responsibilities, transactional and business matters, fundraising and donor issues, charitable trust law, governmental regulatory matters and investigations, and property and sales tax questions. In addition, he counsels trustees, businesses, municipalities, and professional groups in transactions and matters involving nonprofit organizations or charitable activity.
Prior to joining Casner & Edwards, Mr. Allen was Counsel at the Boston firm of Choate, Hall & Stewart. Previously, Mr. Allen served for twelve years as Assistant Attorney General and Chief of the Division of Public Charities in the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, where he:
- led the Attorney General’s oversight of all charitable funds and charitable organizations and trusts in Massachusetts;
- served as President and Board Member of the National Association of State Charity Officials; and
- received a National Association of Attorneys General award for national leadership, expertise, and achievement.
Prior to holding this position, Mr. Allen served as Chief and Assistant Attorney General in the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division.
Mr. Allen is a member of the American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association and Boston Bar Association. He is an active member of the ABA Exempt Organizations Committee, presently serving as Co-Chair of the State & Local Regulation Subcommittee.
Mr. Allen has served as an elected member of the BBA Board of Directors, Chair of the BBA’s Tax Exempt Organizations Committee, Co-Chair of the Health Law Section, and member of the Education Policy Committee. He is also a member of the BBA Tax Exempt Organizations Section Steering Committee, Colleges & Universities Law Section and Corporate Law Committee.
Mr. Allen is a frequent lecturer at programs and seminars sponsored by bar associations, continuing education organizations, and other Massachusetts, regional and national organizations.
Mr. Allen is a member of the Board of Trustees of Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE).
Mr. Allen received a J.D. from Harvard Law School and a B.A., cum laude, from Indiana University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He has received an ADR/Mediation Techniques Certification (JAMS/Endispute).
- Indiana University
Harvard Law School
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Honors & Awards:
- New England Super Lawyer®
Best Lawyers in America®
Who's Who in American Law®
National Association of Attorney Generals award
- American Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
- "Regulation of Public Charities and Fundraising," Massachusetts Nonprofit Organizations (Mass. Continuing Legal Education, 2010); "Regulation of Public Charities and Fundraising," Practicing Law Institute 1998; "For-Profit Healthcare Acquisitions and Conversions: The Massachusetts Experience," Health Affairs, 1997.